Technology is affecting all parts of life. With the acceptance of technology, health care system has taken a step up to become digitalized. The digital healthcare system is much profound in connecting patient to the healthcare system. The latest trends followed in it are medical imaging, radiology diagnostic device, health information exchange throughout the world, DNA sequencing, signal processing etc.
The 3600 digitalized change is what encompasses the Internet of medical things. How far does this benefit will outweigh the risk is still unpredictable.
What is Internet of Medical things?
Internet of Medical Things is also referred as Healthcare IoT is a connection of medical equipment with the application software to communicate with diverse healthcare IT systems. Medical instruments with Wi-Fi permits for device-to-device communication forms the basis of Internet of small things in healthcare. The IoT medical devices can be linked to cloud platforms like amazon, google etc. on which the data can be stored and analysed whenever desired.
Advantages of IoT in Healthcare
The advantages of IoT in health care are vast. Some of the advantages if IoT medical devices are as follows:
- Actual reporting: The IoT applications record the actual activity level of the body system. Thus, giving a detailed information of the body functionality.
- Activity recording: Recording the data helps to understand the mechanism of chronic disease. With a better understanding of disease better treatment could be provided.
- Automation: It decreases the medical errors and fraudulent reportings.
- Flexibility: The IoT system has feedback loops that help to alter the system and provide better patient outcomes.
Internet of Medical Things Applications
The application of IoT relies on the gathering of data that can’t be viewed and most of the time is summarised by the patient. The actual activity and data lead to better diagnosis, advanced treatment, and effective results. Some of the important areas in which IoT Applications are a boon are underpinned below:
- Older people care: Monitoring and tracking the old individuals in the hospital and home has made a huge market for IoT medical devices.
- A collection of patient data: This area is continually growing with technology. It includes recording the past history, vital signs and diagnostic tests reports.
- Real-time location: High and mid end hospitals are using Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) and Bluetooth applications. These applications help them to track the patient location and their activities. It is mostly used for the older patient and patients who suffer from psychiatric disorders.
- Telemedicine: it’s an application in which the patient is remotely monitored at their home. This treatment relieves the patient from travelling to a hospital or doctor’s clinic. It’s best for follow-up or in situations of sudden body changes.
- Hand Hygiene Compliance: One of the IoT health care application can monitor the hand hygiene of the health care workers. It helps to monitor the degree of cleanliness of the healthcare worker and thus providing a germ-free environment. It has significantly reduced the hospital acquired infections.
- Eye on the budget: There is an application to monitor the amount spent on the IT infrastructure of the hospital. The goal is to provide quality care to the patient by spending a less amount on IT infrastructure.